"We are for difference: for respecting difference, for allowing difference, for encouraging difference, until difference no longer makes a difference."
- Jonetta B. Cole
Learning Plus (L+) is the academic support service available to any University of Hartford student who has submitted appropriate documentation showing evidence of a specific learning disability, attention disability, autism spectrum disability, and/or acquired brain injury. Please note that Learning Plus is not a comprehensive program. Service determination is made on a case-by-case basis, depending on semester standing, grade-point average, and course curricula. Learning Plus provides the following types of service:
- Letter of Disclosure: The student and a Learning Plus staff member develop this official document, which identifies the approved accommodations and/or services based upon the student's disability. The student uses this document to facilitate a dialogue with individual professors to discuss the impact of the student's disability on his/her performance in a particular course and to request specific accommodations. Letters of Disclosure must be resubmitted each semester.
- Direct Strategies Instruction: First year students make an appointment to work with a Learning Specialist once a week for 45 minutes. Learning Specialists provide various metacognitive skills including time management and organizational strategies, as well as reading comprehension and written expression.
- Returning Students Check-In: Students schedule appointments on alternate weeks to work with a Learning Specialist who will provide monitoring and assistance with organizational strategies.
- Drop-In: Students may access Learning Plus on an "as needed" basis. A student who utilizes "drop-in" hours does not have a regularly assigned Specialist but may work with one when assistance is needed and appointments are available.
- Test Accommodations: Eligible students may qualify for extended time, a scribe or reader, assistive technology, and/or a low-distraction environment. Students must follow the Learning Plus test procedures to be eligible to take tests at Learning Plus.