Bachelor of Science in Biology
The B.S. degree program provides interested students with a broad approach to biology, but requires a comprehensive background in mathematics and the natural sciences. The B.S. program is recommended for students planning careers in research or who plan to continue study in graduate school, medical school, dental school or in other graduate health care schools.
Prospective biology majors should begin the chemistry sequence (CH 110 111) in the freshman year.
Course Requirements for the BS Major
Learning Outcomes for the BS in Biology
- Students will be able to describe and apply basic biological information and concepts.
- Students will be able to conduct original biological research and report results orally and in writing to scientific audiences.
- Students will be able to demonstrate higher order conceptual understanding of biology, critical thinking and analytical/problem solving skills.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of biology laboratory techniques and instrumentation that is standard in the discipline.
- Students will apply ethical principles of the discipline in regard to human and animal subjects, environmental protection, use of sources, and collaboration with colleagues.