Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Reporting to Law Enforcement

Community members who are victims of sexual violence or other sexual misconduct have the option to notify or not notify law enforcement. University of Hartford community members are encouraged to report sexual violence and other sexual misconduct—whether the incident occurred on or off campus—to local police. Any of the following resources can assist community members who wish to make a report of sexual violence and other sexual misconduct, whether the incident occurred on or off campus, to police.

  • University of Hartford Department of Public Safety: 860.768.7985
  • YWCA of New Britain Sexual Assault Crisis Services: Hotline 860.223.1787 or email
  • Interval House:  24 Hour domestic violence hotline 860.527.0550 or 1.888.774.2900

Electing not to report an incident to the police will not impact the University’s investigation or Title IX complaint process, nor will it affect the victim’s other rights and options under the sexual assault and sexual harassment policy and the law. If victim is a minor, according to Connecticut state law, the University will make a report to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

To contact a local police department, contact Public Safety for assistance or call:
  • Hartford Police Department—860.757.4000
  • West Hartford Police Department—860.523.5203
  • Bloomfield Police Department—860.242.5501
IF YOU NEED IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE, in case of an emergency:

Please dial 860.768.7777 (or 7777 from any University phone) or 911. Please be advised that dialing the Department of Public Safety directly may speed up emergency response as Public Safety can guide emergency services to the proper location on campus.

Victims of Sexual Violence and Other Sexual Misconduct that constitutes a violation of criminal statutes—including, without limitation, sexual assault, domestic partner violence, dating violence and stalking—may be able to seek a protective order or temporary restraining order through the criminal or civil court system. Any person who obtains a court-ordered protective order or temporary restraining order, whether or not related to a violation of this Sexual Violence Policy, may inform Public Safety of the existence of the protective or temporary restraining order.

Information on the criminal justice system, including information on how to obtain and enforce a protective or restraining order, is contained in appendices at the back of the Sexual Violence and Misconduct Policy and Procedures.