Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Questions and Answers

What events have been planned for students? How do I find a tutor? How do I choose my major?  How do I find a job or internship? How do I receive emergency information? Are there any intramural sports on campus? What student clubs are available on campus?

You will have many questions throughout your college life. We are here to help you. 

We have compiled the most frequently asked questions and provided the answers here. If your question is not listed, please contact us

Find answers to your questions

Please choose a category

Tutoring and Academics

How do I choose a major? 

If you are undecided, there are two ways to choose a major. First, select courses, whenever possible, that allow you to explore different areas that hold some interest for you. This will allow you to assess your interest in a field at the college level. If you are not sure about your interests, make sure you select courses from a variety of areas and you may discover an new interest. Second, visit Career Services. They can help you explore your interests using career and interest exploration software, as well as provide an opportunity to talk to a career counselor.

How do I change to a different major? 

Changing a major at the University of Hartford is typically very easy, with some exceptions. Every college has an academic service office that can give you a change of major form that requires several signatures. As long as you are in good academic standing, moving among majors and colleges only requires completing the change of major form. Two colleges require more: The Hartt School requires an audition and the Hartford Art School requires the submission of a portfolio. Visit the academic service office of either of those colleges to find out what is required for an audition or portfolio.

How do I check my final grades? 

Final grades are placed in our University Banner System usually within 48 hours after each exam.
Steps to Check: Go to > click on current students > self-service center > student sign on > enter ID# > enter PIN# > student main menu > student academics > view final grades.

I am having trouble connecting with my advisor. What should I do? 

If you have made an effort via e-mail and in person to connect with your assigned advisor, then come see us in the SSC and we will help you.

Is there assistance for students who need help with study skills and written papers? 

The Center for Reading and Writing offers free individualized assistance to anyone in the University community who wants to develop efficient strategies for reading, writing, and studying. Professional and peer consultants help with writing issues such as generating ideas for papers, writing research papers, and organizing and editing drafts. They also teach flexible and effective strategies for managing time, taking notes, reading, and preparing for exams. Specialists are available to work with international students.

Location: Harrison Libraries lower level
Link: Center for Reading and Writing

Where do I go for academic support if I have a learning disability? 

Access-Ability Services provides academic support to students with specific learning disabilities and/or attention deficit disorder. The support consists of one 45-minute appointment a week with an adult Access-Ability specialist presenting applicable learning strategies. It is not a comprehensive program and there is no separate application process or fee.

Location: Auerbach 209
Phone: 860.768.4312
FAX: 860.768.4183
Link: Access-Ability Services

How can I get tutoring help? 

There are a number of services available to assist you. They include:

  • The Center for Student Success Peer Tutoring
    A peer tutoring program designed to help students receive one-on-one assistance from an upperclassman student who received an "A" in the course. We staff tutors for many 100 and 200 level courses and a limited number of 300 and 400 level courses. We will also work to find you a tutor if we do not have one listed for your specific course. Please request early as schedules fill up during mid-terms and finals!

    Location: SSC
    Phone: 860.768.7003
  • The Math and Physics Tutoring Lab
    Staffed by full-time faculty and upper-class majors in the departments and offers tutoring on nearly all freshman and sophomore level courses taught by the departments.

    Location: Dana Hall 208
    Phone: 860.768.4306
    Schedule: Math and Physics Tutoring Lab Hours
  • Vampire Tutoring for Math
    Late night math tutors! No appointment necessary. Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:30 –11:30 p.m. in Mortensen Library. For math courses: 110, 114, 140, 144, 145, 221W.
  • Hillyer Academic Strategies Center 
    Offers Hillyer students one-on-one assistance with academic strategies applicable to their Hillyer studies. Assistance in strategies includes time management; note taking; text reading and annotating; test taking; preparation, completion of answers, and analysis of errors; and writing essay exams and completing research assignments. The center is staffed by full-time professionals and peer tutors.

    Location: Hillyer 140
    Phone: 860.768.5013
  • Chemistry Tutors
    Students in Chemistry courses: CH 110, 111, 114, 136, 230-231 may use tutors in BC 254 (ISET) during scheduled hours. No appointment is necessary.

    Location: BC 254 (ISET)
    Phone: 860.768.4537
    Schedule: Chemistry tutors
  • Computer Science Tutoring Lab 
    Staffed by full-time faculty and upper-class majors in the department and offers tutoring on nearly all freshman and sophomore level courses taught by the department.

    Location: Dana Hall 230
    Phone: 860.768.4306
    Schedule: Computer Science Tutoring Lab Hours
  • Student-Athletes Support Services
    The Athletics Counseling Office provides support services to ensure each student-athlete's personal and academic success. Participation in athletics is important, but it represents only one aspect of the individual's college experience. Academic achievement is of prime concern. Since student-athletes are required to commit a large percentage of their time to athletics, the University realizes the need for a support program to assist student-athletes in achieving their individual, academic, personal and athletic goals. The program consists of the following: study hall, tutors, progress notes, academic recognition awards; counseling and academic sports related workshops.

    Location: Sports Center A228
    Phone: 860.768.4657

Employment and Career

Where can I go to learn about jobs and internships and get help with résumé writing? 

Career Services provides comprehensive career planning and job-seeking assistance to students and alumni of the University. Their primary goal is to assist University of Hartford undergraduate students in acquiring the tools needed to make effective career decisions during each phase of their academic career development.

Career Services can help you in selecting a career path or major, assist with résumé writing, mock interviews, and internship searches. They also provide career fairs, on-campus recruiting, and career workshops and events. In addition, a complete career library of occupational and employer information is available.

Appointments with career advisors may be arranged by calling the Career Services Office during their business hours.

Location: Gengras Student Union, room 207.
Hours during fall and spring semesters: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Hours during winter and summer terms: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Phone: 860.768.4287

Programs, Activities, and Student Organizations

How can I find out about student clubs on campus?

The Student Government Association oversees and funds the student organizations on campus. Click here for a full listing of clubs and activities

What's happening on campus today, tomorrow, this weekend?

You can find out about activities here.
You can also read the online edition of our campus newspaper, The Informer.

Are there religious organizations on campus for students?

Yes, here is the list of the organizations and their contact information:

Safety and Security

How do I get in touch with Public Safety? 

For emergencies, please call 860.768.7777
For non-emergencies, please call 860.768.7985
Public Safety officers are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year 
Location: Operations Building
Link: Public Safety

Is there a campus escort or shuttle service?

Public Safety operates a student escort service as well as an evening shuttle service. Call 860.768.7985 for assistance.

Are there self-defense classes?

Certified Public Safety staff offer a women's self defense program, which is open to all female students, faculty, and staff. Call 860.768.7985 for more information.

How do I receive emergency information? 

Emergency announcements are available on every page of the University website or by calling 860.768.4100. When you are accepted to the University, we will automatically sign you up to receive text alerts on your phone Click here if you wish to opt out of this service. 


Is there an intramural program and how do I get involved?
The intramural program at the University of Hartford offers a wide range of sports-related activities to its faculty, staff and students. University of Hartford intramurals offer structured competition for both men and women with specific league, tournament and playoff schedules. Such competition involves prearranged schedules and facilities, supervision, student officials and published results via the school newspaper.

How do I find out when the varsity teams are playing?
Information about our 18 NCAA Division I Sports, including schedules, results, and press releases can be found on the Hartford Hawks website.

What are the hours of the Sports Center?
Hours of operation and other important information about the Sports Center can be found at their website.

Sample page conclusion.