Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Utility Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content

University Closing at Noon on Wednesday, November 26

The University will close at noon today due to the storm.

History of the Newman Club

History of the Newman Club

The University of Hartford Newman Club is the Catholic student organization on campus. Named in honor of the late John Henry Newman (1801-1890), its members seek to build the Catholic student community through spiritual, educational, social, and volunteer opportunities.

John Henry Newman, an Englishman, was ordained in the Anglican Church at age twenty-three and converted to Roman Catholicism at age forty-four.  After studying for the priesthood in Rome, he became a member of The Oratory of St. Philip Neri, a religious community.  Newman was made a cardinal at the age of seventy-nine.

A priest and a scholar, Cardinal Newman's works include The Development of Christian Doctrine, The Idea of a University, and Apologia Pro Vita. He also wrote two novels, Loss and Gain, and Callista.

In 1991, Pope John Paul II declared Cardinal Newman to be "Venerable," that is, worthy of reverence, in recognition of his having practiced the virtues to a heroic degree. Blessed John Henry Newman was beatified on September 19, 2010 by Pope Benedict XVI.

In 1893, just three years after the death of Cardinal Newman, the first Newman Club was established in the United States at the University of Pennsylvania.  Since that time, ministries to Catholic students at secular and non-Catholic colleges and universities traditionally bear Cardinal Newman's name.

The University of Hartford Newman Club was established in 1960. The first Chaplain was Reverend Henry Frascadore. The present Chaplain is Reverend Michael J. Dolan.

Our Mission Statement: To promote and uphold the Catholic Faith at the University of Hartford and in the Greater Hartford community; and to enlighten fellow students in the truth of God as presented through the ideals of the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

John Henry Newman

Image of newman.jpg

The University of Hartford Newman Club was established in 1960.