Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Parent FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What counseling services are available on campus?

A: The office of Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) provides students with a wide range of short-term counseling and psychological services. These services can include individual counseling, couples counseling, and group counseling.

Q: Is there a fee for CAPS services?

A: Services are available to all full-time undergraduate students at no additional cost.

Q: What if my son or daughter is not a full-time student?

A: Part-time undergraduate and all graduate students may utilize CAPS services for a nominal fee. Please see The Source or call the Bursar's Office at 860.768.4999 for the current fee.

Q: Where is CAPS located?

A: We are on the third floor of the Gengras Student Union, room 313.

Q: How are appointments scheduled?

A: Students can set up an initial intake appointment by phone at 860.768.4482, or by coming to the office in Gengras Student Union (room 313).

Q: How quickly are appointments scheduled?

A: CAPS can typically offer an appointment within 2 to 3 days. CAPS also offers daily crisis appointments. However, if your child is experiencing an emergency, he or she should call 911 or visit a local emergency room.

Q: What are your office hours?

A: CAPS is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The office is closed on certain school holidays and during the summer.

Q: What if a student needs help after hours?

A: If a residential student is in crisis after hours, you should contact Public Safety at 860.768.7777 (ext. 7777 from campus phones). If a student lives off campus, you should call 911.

Q: Can I talk to my son or daughter's therapist?

A: Therapists are permitted to listen to any information you provide. However, without written permission from your son or daughter, a therapist will not be able to speak with you about his or her treatment or confirm whether or not your child is coming to CAPS.

Q: What information is confidential?

A: CAPS adheres to professional ethical standards and all state and federal laws regarding confidentiality. This means that once a student has contacted our office, CAPS is not permitted to disclose any information (including whether or not s/he has made an appointment with our office) without written consent from the student. The primary exception to this rule is if the student is in imminent danger of causing harm to self or others.

Q: What if my son or daughter needs medication?

A: CAPS does provide limited psychiatric services. Please contact CAPS for further information.

Additionally, CAPS can provide students with referrals to off-campus psychiatrists in the area. We recommend that you check with your health care provider for a list of psychiatric referrals that may be covered under your health care plan.

Q: What if a student needs other services that you cannot provide or they want to see a therapist off campus?

A: In some cases, a student's needs extend beyond that of which CAPS can offer. CAPS staff will provide appropriate referrals to off-campus services.