Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Utility Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content

Late Opening on Wednesday, January 28

In the aftermath of the winter storm, the University of Hartford will open on Wednesday at 10 a.m. Classes will begin at 10:30 a.m.   snow closing guide

Until that time, the Commons, Subway, and Village Market will maintain regular hours for residential dining services and the Sports Center will be open normal hours for use by residential students only. Gengras Student Union and University Libraries remain closed until the University reopens Wednesday at 10 a.m. 

current as of 6:20 p.m., Jan. 27, 2015

Information for Faculty and Staff

As a faculty or staff member, you are in an excellent position to recognize a student in distress. Your ability to understand the signs of emotional distress and your willingness to acknowledge your concerns directly with the student are key. In fact, students often report that this initial contact is one of the most significant factors in successfully confronting their problems.

In general, you should consider referring students to the counseling center if their problems have compromised their ability to function academically, personally, or socially.

Signs of Distress:

  •  Increased procrastination and/or lower quality of work
  •  Reduction in class attendance
  •  Lack of energy
  •  Social withdrawal
  •  Crying in the office and/or classroom
  •  Disturbing material content in academic assignments
  •  Inability to concentrate in class

How to Intervene:

  •  Talk to the student in private
  •  State specific reasons for concern
  •  Listen carefully
  •  Avoid criticizing or judging
  •  Discuss with the student a referral to CAPS (ext. 4482)

Ways you can assist a student who is reluctant to seek counseling:

It can be helpful to remind students that a situation does not have to reach crisis proportions to benefit from professional help. Acknowledging, validating, and discussing the student's fears and concerns about seeking help may also be useful. Additionally, you can emphasize that, although some people feel that seeking counseling is an admission of weakness or failure, it in fact takes considerable courage and integrity to acknowledge one's limitations and seek help from others. You also may offer to accompany the student to the counseling office or to assist them in setting up an appointment.

What if the student refuses help?

Participating in counseling should always be a personal choice. If the student resists referral and you remain uncomfortable with the situation, you can contact Counseling and Psychological Services at 860.768.4482 to discuss your concern. However, if you are concerned about the student's immediate safety or the safety of others, you should call Public Safety at 860.768.7777.