Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Appeal Process

The Procedure for a Student to Appeal a Disability Service Provider's Decision

All efforts to resolve any conflicts/concerns of an accommodation will be made with the student and disability support provider.  Students have the right to appeal a decision about their eligibility for a disability accommodation or service. It is important to note that during the time that the disability-related decision is under appeal, the student does not have access to the disputed accommodation or service.
The steps to follow:

  • The student writes and submits a Letter of Appeal to the Director of Access-Ability Services and the Dean of Students (Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs) identifying the opposition to the denial of eligibility or denial of a specific accommodation or service.
  • The Letter of Appeal should be submitted to the Director and the Dean of Students in a timely manner; within 5-7 business days upon receipt of the Disability Service Provider's decision.
  • The Director of Access-Ability Services writes a Letter of Justification based on the student's confidential documentation that supports their decision about eligibility for disability accommodations or services within 5 business days of receipt of the Letter of Appeal from the student. This letter is submitted to both the student and the Dean of Students office.
  • The Dean of Students reviews the student's disability documentation and the Disability Service Provider's Letter of Justification in a timely fashion.
  • The Dean of Students may call upon University Counsel for a legal perspective and ruling.
  • The Dean of Students will notify the student and the Director of Access-Ability Services in writing about their decision within 5-7 business days post input from the University Counsel.
  • The student and the Director of Access-Ability Services will abide by the decision of the Dean of Students.

Please contact Access-Ability Services if you have any questions about appealing a disability-related accommodation or service.