Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Recommended Items to Bring

What is Included in the Room? 
All of our residence halls include a bed frame, mattress, dresser, closet, and a desk with a chair. If there is a common area we provide a kitchen table and chairs. It is expected that in common areas, students will add their own choice of living-room furniture, accessories, cooking utensils, dishes, and other essentials. 

Suggested Items

Bed and Bath

  • Extra long twin sheets
  • Extra long mattress pad
  • Pillows and pillow cases 
  • Comforter 
  • Blanket
  • Towels and washcloths
  • Shower shoes and flip flops 
  • Shower caddy
  • Throw rugs
  • desk lamp and bulbs (non-halogen)
  • One or two head floor lamp and bulbs (non-halogen)
  • Hangers
  • Mirror 
  • Personal trash can and trash bags


  • Camera
  • Computer
  • Cellphone and charger
  • DVD player
  • Gaming system
  • Power strips with surge protector 
  • UL approved indoor holiday lights
  • Printer and ink cartridge 
  • Computer printer paper
  • Television
  • Microwave
  • Compact refrigerator (3.6 cubic ft. or less)

Hygiene Supplies

  • Cleaning supplies
  • First aid kit
  • Hand soap and paper towels
  • Electric thermometer
  • Soap and shampoo
  • Toothbruch and toothpaste
  • Shaving accessories 

Identification and Money

  • ATM Debit/Credit cards
  • State or government photo ID
  • Insurance cards
  • Social security card
  • Lock box 

Laundry Supplies

  • Detergent
  • Dryer sheets
  • Drying rack
  • Fabric softener
  • Iron (with auto shut off feature)
  • Ironing boards
  • Laundry bag/basket


  • Backpack
  • School supplies (pen, paper, notebooks etc.)
  • 3M command adhesive prouducts
  • Calendar
  • Flashlight
  • Pastric food storage containers 
  • Dishware
  • Can opener 
  • Water filter pitcher
  • Umbrella/raingear
  • Plastic bins/storage
  • Fan 
  • Prescription medication 

Preferred Vendors

The Office of Residential Life lists these vendors as suggestions to help you cover some of your basic needs.

CSI Insurance Agency Inc.   

Property Insurance:  CSI Insurance Agency Inc. has been a leader in both commercial and personal property protection. Working hand in hand with the best underwriters in the industry, CSI Insurance has developed highly specialized insurance programs designed to meet the unique needs of students.

Campus Specialities

Refrigerator Rentals: Campus Specialties is a master distributor of the MicroFridge® with Safe Plug™ brand and product line. The company rents and sells compact microwave / freezer / refrigerators in a single unit to college students during each academic semester.  You can reach them by calling 800.525.7307.

Residence Hall Linens

Bedroom Essentials: The Residence Hall Linens program has been offered at the University of Hartford for 19 years. The beds in the University's residential communities have extra-long mattresses that require specially sized sheets, blankets, and comforters. These extra-long beds, which are greater than 76 inches in length, are meant to maximize comfort.

New England Student Services

Storage Solutions: Looking for a reliable place to store your belongings?  New England Student Services  can store or ship computers, stereos, skis, bicycles, furniture, and much more. Over the years, this business has listened to students, parents and Higher Education Administrators to find options that allow us to serve our clientele in new and better ways. Call 401.405.0920 or email to reserve space and/or schedule pickups. Click here to see a flyer for details. 

Prohibited items

Prohibited items

Here is a list of items that are not permitted in our residence halls on campus.

  • Open coil heating devices (exception: coffee pots with an auto shutoff feature or without an exposed element/hot plate, such as Keurigs are permitted) 
  • George foreman grills, toaster ovens, induction cookers, crock pots, toasters and hot plates (exception: these appliances are permitted in areas with full kitchens, such as the Village Apartments, Park River Apartments, and the Asylum Avenue Graduate Townhouses) 
  •  Oil-based popcorn poppers and grills 
  •  Halogen lamps, lava lamps, and 3, 4, or 5 headed lamps with plastic covers 
  •  Air conditioners and space heaters (except those issued by the University) 
  •  Dishwashers 
  •  Extension cords and multi-plug outlet adapters 
  •  Outdoor holiday lights and non-UL approved indoor holiday lights 
  •  Bed risers/Lofts 
  •  Items hanging from the ceiling 
  • Flammable materials (i.e. storing or possessing gasoline or any flammable liquids, including gasoline-powered machines, gas or charcoal grills, and other combustibles or explosive chemicals, fireworks, oil lamps, oil warmers, etc.) 
  •  Candles and incense (lit and unlit) 
  •  Pets (exception: fish are permitted in no more than a 20 gallon aquarium) 
  • Weapons (i.e. hunting bows, knives, paintball guns or paraphernalia, and pellet and air-soft guns are prohibited, along with instruments legally classified as dangerous weapons) 
  • Wireless routers 
  • Electric heating blankets 
  • Personal mattress (unless approved by Student Affairs for documented medical reasons) 
  • Hover boards 
  • Drugs and drug paraphernalia (i.e. hookahs, pipes, grinders, rolling papers, smoking devices, etc.) 
  • Alcohol (unless 21 or older), bulk containers (i.e. kegs, logs, beer balls, etc.), binge drinking paraphernalia, alcohol above 100 proof, empty alcohol containers (unless 21 or older), and displaying alcohol related materials such as signs in common areas or within public view 

The Office of Residential Life reserves the right to adjust this list based on student health and safety and will notify students through email of any changes. Residential Life or Public Safety staff will confiscate illegal or misused items. Residential Life staff and Facilities personnel reserve the right to check frayed or broken. 

Click here to view a printable list of suggested and prohibited items.