Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Financial Aid & Study Abroad

Is Financial Aid available for studying abroad?

Most of the financial aid students receive can be applied to semester and year-long approved study abroad programs. This includes aid from both the federal and state governments, and university scholarships or grants.  Work Study and any Room and Board discounts associated with the RA program do not apply to study abroad programs.  Please note: tuition remission/abatement only applies for semester/academic exchange programs (not program providers) and for some UHart faculty-led programs

Students interested in studying abroad may wish to consider the possibility of obtaining additional financial aid (generally including loans) to assist in funding a study abroad program. Students who do not qualify for need-based grants and the need-based Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan may wish to utilize the non-need based Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan.

It's helpful to remember that loans need to be paid back. The subsidized loan is need-based and interest is paid by the government during the in-school period; the unsubsidized loan is non-need based and interest is paid by the student.

Before applying to a study abroad program, check with the program provider and/or the Study Abroad Office for program expenses. Students on approved semester programs will pay University of Hartfor tuition (unless program tuition costs more, in which case students pay the full program tuition amount), and will pay the provider's cost of room/board not the UHart cost. 

In addition to the program fee, please consider the cost of airfare, meals not included in the program price, getting a passport and/or visa, immunizations, and spending money. Always seek additional or alternative sources of funding.

If I currently receive financial aid, does that mean I would receive financial aid for study abroad?

Yes, students can usually apply their financial aid (including loans) to assist in covering the cost of studying abroad. Current financial aid recipients normally file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the renewal FAFSA yearly, eliminating the necessity to do another one. Make sure your FAFSA is up-to-date for the period when you wish to study abroad.

There are some scholarships, such as the Alumni Distinguished Scholarship (ADS), Distinguished Freshman Scholarship, MSU National Merit Scholarship, and National Merit Achievement Scholarship, which restrict awards for certain types of study abroad programs. Check with the Office of Admissions and Scholarships for details.

I've never applied for financial aid but would like to apply for study abroad. What do I do first?

You must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form for the same academic period in which you plan to study abroad. The FAFSA is required to determine your eligibility for Pell Grant and other federal and state grants, federal loans (need-based and non-need-based), work-study, and many University of Hartford grants and scholarships. Apply early as aid is awarded only until funding is exhausted.

The FAFSA is required for:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal College Work Study
  • Federal Stafford Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loan

Am I qualified to apply for financial aid?

Everyone who meets the following requirements may apply with the FAFSA form:

  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • be registered with Selective Service (if required)
  • be enrolled in an eligible program
  • be making satisfactory academic progress
  • not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on federal educational loan

When should I file the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is available after January 1 for the academic year beginning the following fall. As soon as possible after January 1 complete the FAFSA and return it to the federal processor. The FAFSA changes every year, so be sure you are filing the correct application for your period of attendance. Be sure to renew your application every year.

Where do I obtain a FAFSA form?

Apply electronically at or visit the Financial Aid Office.

How many credits do I need to take to receive financial aid (including loans) for study abroad?

For scholarships and grants you must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 U.S. credits abroad.