Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Study Abroad Policies

There are different policies in place for semester study abroad students versus on-campus students.  These range from semester costs and financial aid, to courses and grades/credits, and are detailed below.


Students registered on an approved semester or year-long study abroad program will pay University of Hartford tuition while abroad.  If your program's tuition cost is higher than the University of Hartford's tuition, you will be billed the additional amount.  If you are taking additional courses than what is considered to be full-time at the overseas university, you will be billed for the extra tuition (for example, students at X university only take 4 courses, but you want to take 5, you will be billed for the 5th course).  If you sign up for courses with extra lab fees, you will be billed for the extra amount.  Please note: tuition abatement or exchange can only be used on exchange programs, not provider programs. 

Room & Board

Students on approved programs will not be billed UHart's room and board fees, but will be billed the housing fee of the host program through their University of Hartford account.  Please be aware some housing bills from our overseas partners are not received until the start of your semester abroad or after you have already arrived.  You will be notified via your Hartford email that your housing charge will be added to your Hartford account so you can pay on time. 

Student Fees

Students will only be billed for a few small fees: graduation ($46), registration ($30), and the required UnitedHealthcare Global International Emergency Plan ($225).

Additional Fees

Students are responsible for all travel and personal expenses.  These include airfare, passports and/or visa fees, meals not included within the program, books and supplies, and personal expenses such as independent travel.

Courses & Credits

All courses taken abroad on approved programs will transfer back in as University of Hartford credits and will be factored into your GPA.  These courses must be preapproved by the appropriate faculty here on campus otherwise they may not count towards your graduation requirements.  Students are allowed to take one course pass/no pass provided it is not a course in their major.  Please note: courses taken abroad cannot be repeated at the University of Hartford. 

Medical Insurance

All students are required to have medical insurance while they are abroad.  In most instances, the partner provider program will include health insurance in their program fee, but with some universities you will need to make sure you are covered.  We recommend contacting you current health insurance provider to see if they will cover you internationally.  We can provide you with a list of study abroad insurance providers if needed.