Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Arranging Travel

Once you've been accepted by both UHart and the provider, you can go ahead and begin to arrange your travel.

Passport Information

All students will need a valid passport in order to travel internationally. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the end of your program. Applications can take 4-8 weeks to process so please make sure you leave enough time for processing. Please visit the U.S. Department of State's website for more information.

Travel Visa

A visa is an endorsement stamped into your passport by a foreign government, allowing you to stay in their country for a specific purpose and period of time. Most countries require you to have a student visa in order to enter the country and stay there legally as a student. If a visa is required, the required information to obtain the visa will be given to you by the program provider. Usually a visa is obtained at the Consulate of the country of study or by mail. Do NOT wait until the last minute to get your visa. Keep all documents that are sent to you by your program provider - some may be needed by immigration officials upon arrival in your host country.


Some providers may offer a group flight to the destination, but a majority of them will require students to secure their own flights to and from the country. STA Travel and Student Universe are two companies that offer student discounts on travel and other products. If you book with a STA Travel agent, they offer a "Book Now, Pay Later" program which allows students to pay a fraction of the cost up front, with the remaining balance due a week before flying out. If you have airline miles, you can also use those to book your flight. All students will need to have a return flight booked.