Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Inviting a Family Member or Guest to Visit from Abroad

Being an international student at the University of Hartford can be an exciting time in your life and you may wish to share this experience with family or friends from back home.

If you wish to invite family members or friends (other than your spouse or child for a permanent stay with you) to visit with you in the United States for a short time, they should apply for a B-2 Visitor Visa through a U.S. embassy or consulate back home.

You should provide them with the following:

  • A personal invitation letter, which should include your name, school, relationship to the applicant, name of applicant, applicant’s place and date of birth, dates expected to visit the United States, duration of visit, preferred arrival date, and whether you will provide financial support for the applicant’s visit.
  • An UHA “Invitation Letter” from the International Center
  • Copies of your I-20 or DS-2019, visa stamp, and I-94 Arrival Document.
  • Copies of your proof of financial support, such as bank statements, University of Hartford assistantship letters, and/or personal bank statements if you stated that you would provide financial support for the applicant during his or her stay in the U.S.

Typically your guest will be allowed entry to the U.S. for a period not to exceed six months.