Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Reinstatement to Student Status

Any F-1 or J-1 student who has failed to maintain full-time status, who has overstayed his or her authorized period of stay, or otherwise failed to maintain legal status is considered to be "out of student status" by the USCIS. A student who is deemed to be "out of status" may be reinstated to lawful F-1 or J-1 status at their discretion. A student who has been out of status for more than five months is typically ineligible for reinstatement and must return to their home country.

Conditions for Reinstatement

Reinstatement must meet the following conditions:

  1. The student is currently pursuing, or intends to pursue, a full course of study in the immediate future at the school which issued the student an I-20 or DS2019 form.

  2. The student has not engaged in unauthorized employment.

  3. The student establishes that failure to maintain status was due to circumstances beyond his or her control.

  4. Does not have a record of repeated or willful violations of USCIS regulations.

  5. The student is not deportable on any ground other than overstaying or failing to maintain status.


The following documentation must be submitted to the USCIS to process a request for "Reinstatement to Student Status."

  1. A properly completed and endorsed I-20 or DSP 2019 Form verifying the student's full-time from the International Center

  2. A written statement must be submitted explaining the reason(s) for not maintaining the requirements of the F-1 visa category and requesting that reinstatement be granted.

  3. A photocopy of the I-94 form.

  4. USCIS Form I-539.

  5. A check or money order for $290 made payable to the "Department of Homeland Security" (subject to change).

This documentation must be forwarded to the USCIS. Though there may be exceptions, students who are deemed to be "out of status" may not resume studies at the University unless they have submitted a request to the USCIS for reinstatement. Students denied reinstatement may not resume or continue studies and must leave the U.S. by a time determined by the USCIS. A student in this situation should consult with the staff of the International Center before attempting to pursue any further course work.