Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Thursday, Nov. 15

The University will close today at 4:30 p.m. with the exception of the following event: Tonight's Richard P. Garmany Chamber Music Series performance by the St. Lawrence String Quartet will continue as scheduled at 7:30 p.m. in Millard Auditorium. All classes starting at or after 4:30 p.m. will not meet; classes in session will dismiss at 4:30 p.m. Hartt Community Division activities after 3 p.m. today are canceled.

On-campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students and exchange visitors enrolled at the University of Hartford may be authorized to engage in on-campus employment opportunities by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) or the U.S. Department of State (DoS). Before beginning on-campus employment, you must contact the International Center to ensure your eligibility to be employed. You must pick up or download the Employment Verification Form, which must be completed by your supervisor. Return this form to the International Center for approval. You will then be given instructions on how to apply for a US Social Security Number that you will need prior to beginning on-campus employment.

F-1 On-campus Employment – Immigration and University Guidelines

  • A student must be enrolled on a full-time basis and be in good academic standing according to University standards.
  • A student may work no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. A student may work on a full-time basis during other periods such as summer vacation or semester breaks.
  • On-campus employment may begin at any time following the student's initial enrollment at the University.
  • A student may work for any department or office within the university community, including Aramark Dining Services and the campus bookstore. A student may not be employed by the Watkinson School.
  • On-campus employment must cease following the student's graduation, reduction from full-time status to part-time status (unless it is the student's final semester prior to graduation), or complete withdrawal from the University.
  • A student may hold multiple jobs (including assistantships and internships), however, the total number of hours worked may not exceed the 20-hour-per-week limit. Assistantships and internships (when done on campus) are considered to be on-campus employment and are governed by USCIS on-campus employment regulations including the 20-hour-per-week limitation.
  • A student participating in an on-campus employment opportunity is not required to obtain an "Employment Authorization Document" (EAD) from the USCIS.

International students who are engaged in off-campus employment, including internships, CO-OP, economic hardship employment, or any form of pre-completion practical training, may not work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session (exception is made only for those undergraduate students officially enrolled in an "alternating" CO-OP program). Students who simultaneously participate in both off- and on-campus employment are restricted to no more than 20 hours of work per week, in the aggregate, while school is in session.

J-1 On-campus Employment - Immigration and University Guidelines

Under certain circumstances, exchange visitors may be authorized on-campus or off-campus employment which is not directly related to their J-1 program description. You must seek authorization from the University's J-1 Exchange Program "Responsible Officer" located at the International Center.

Matriculated Exchange Visitor Student Requirements

To be employed on or off-campus, an exchange visitor student must show that the employment is:

  • Pursuant to a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship. 
  • Occurs on campus.  
  • Occurs off campus when it is necessary because of serious, urgent, or unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since acquiring exchange visitor status.
  • Employment may not cause the participant to reduce preparation and studies below the full-time requirement of his or her program.
  • The student is in good academic standing according to University standards.
  • The student is not employed for more than 20 hours per week while school is in session (during official school breaks and vacation periods, a student may be employed for more than 20 hours per week).

Please note that approval for employment must be terminated when the above stated conditions are not met.


Exchange visitor students seeking employment on campus must secure work approval from the Responsible Officer of their exchange program before employment may begin. Those students who are sponsored by the University of Hartford must submit a written request for on campus employment permission to the International Center to the start of employment.

Exchange visitor students seeking permission to be employed off-campus due to unforeseen economic hardship must also apply to the Responsible Officer of their exchange program. The following documentation is required:

  • A letter from the exchange visitor stating why there is a need for employment. The letter should be precise and fully explain all conditions which have affected the student: reasons may include such financial hardships as (a) loss of a scholarship or assistantship, (b) loss of private or government financial sponsorship, (c) a problem within his/her home country which is preventing the release of funds, or (d) other. 
  • The student's I-94 form and DS-2019 form. 
  • Further documentation may be requested by the responsible officer.


The responsible officer will review the exchange visitor's request for employment. If approved, the responsible officer will issue a letter to the student authorizing employment and stating the duration of time the student will be allowed to work (not to exceed twelve months per authorization).

Employment Pursuant to the terms of a Scholarship, Fellowship, or Assistantship 

An exchange visitor student enrolled in a full-time degree or certificate program may engage in employment for pay, if that employment is pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship. The employment must be on-campus and be directly related to the exchange visitor's course of study. In some instances, employment may be on a full-time basis if that is a requirement of the program (e.g. CO-OP). The responsible officer should be made aware of any offers made to exchange students under these provisions.

Non-Matriculated Exchange Visitor Students

Exchange visitor students who are enrolled in non-degree programs of study at the University of Hartford (e.g. summer or other short-term exchange programs), are prohibited from seeking on or off-campus employment while in the U.S. unless they meet the requirements as stated above for degree-seeking students.

Professors, Scholars, Lecturers and Researchers

Exchange visitors under any of these categories may be employed by the University, but only in accordance with the program description on their DS-2019 form. Federal regulations stipulate that an exchange visitor who engages in activities that both produce income from U.S. sources and are unrelated to the participants program, ceases to maintain lawful status. Under certain conditions, exchange visitors in these categories may participate in occasional lectures or consultations off-campus and receive reimbursement for travel, lodging and other out-of-pocket expenses (these types of reimbursement are not considered to be "compensation" by the DoS). The occasional lectures or consultations must:

  • Be directly related to the objectives of the exchange visitor's program
  • Be incidental to the exchange visitor's primary program activities
  • Not delay the completion date of the exchange visitor's program

Permission to participate in outside lectures or consultations must be granted by the Responsible Officer of the exchange program. An exchange visitor must present a letter outlining the terms or conditions of his or her employment offer (e.g. dates, compensation, and program description) as well as a letter from the appropriate department chairperson or college dean recommending the activity. The responsible officer will issue a letter to the exchange visitor indicating that participation has been approved by the University (if the individual is sponsored by the University of Hartford).

An exchange visitor may not engage in gainful employment that both produces income from U.S. sources and is unrelated to the visitor's program except as stated above. Unauthorized employment is deemed a violation of exchange visitor status and a visitor's program may be subject to termination.

Applying for a Social Security Number

While no authorization from the International Center or the USCIS is required to be employed on -campus, you must have a U.S. Social Security number prior to beginning work. To get this number you must complete a "Employment Request Form" that you can pick up at the International Center. This form will verify that you are enrolled full-time and have been offered employment. The International Center will sign the form and you will be instructed to go to the Social Security Office in Hartford to apply for your number. It may take several weeks before you are issued your Social Security number; the Social Security Administration is required to verify your legal status in the U.S. prior to issuing you a number and this may cause delays. Again, you may not begin employment until the number has been issued to you. For further information on how to apply for your Social Security number, please click here.

Generally, students are not required to pay social security taxes though they may be required to pay federal and state taxes based on income earned during the course of a year.

Below is a list of the best places to look for on-campus employment:

  • Aramark Dining Services
  • The Bookstore
  • Computer Services
  • The Library
  • The Sports Center
  • Facilities (Operations and Maintenance)
  • Lincoln Theater
  • Academic Departments
  • Administrative Departments

Below of some examples that do not qualify for on-campus employment:

  • Working for a professor’s personal project (e.g. translating, coding, research, etc.)
  • House cleaning for your advisor
  • Editing papers for other students
  • Working from an on-campus location (e.g. your dorm room) for an off-campus employer