Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

SEVIS Reporting Requirements

Mandatory SEVIS and University of Hartford Reporting Requirements for F-1 and J-1 Full-time Students

Requirements of the University

It is the responsibility of the International Center to keep complete and accurate records on the following information for each F-1 student and provide it to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) upon its request:

  • Name.
  • Date and place of birth.
  • Country of citizenship.
  • Address where you and any dependents physically reside while in the U.S. (cannot be a P.O. Box unless you live on-campus). If mail cannot be received at the physical address, then a mailing address must also be provided.
  • Academic status (e.g. full-time or part-time, suspended, withdrawn, etc.).
  • Date of commencement of studies.
  • Degree program and field of study.
  • Whether the student has been certified for Optional Practical Training, and the beginning and end dates of certification.
  • Termination date and reason, if known.
  • The financial documents and other support documents used to issue the student’s Form I-20 or DSP 2019.
  • The number of credits completed each semester.
  • A photocopy of the student's I-20 ID Copy or DSP 2019, as well as copies of your passport and I-94 Departure Record.

Requirements of F-1 Students and J-1 Exchange Visitors

  • Report to the International Center with your I-20 or DSP 2019, passport and I-94 Arrival/ Departure Record
  • On initial arrival to the University of Hartford campus from abroad to begin a new program of study.
  • On initial arrival to the University of Hartford campus to transfer from another U.S. school.
  • If you plan to register part-time or withdraw from courses to part-time study, even if for medical reasons.
  • Before you interrupt a program of study at the University, whether due to a temporary leave of absence, suspension or permanent withdrawal.
  • Upon returning to the University of Hartford after a leave of absence or suspension.
  • If there are errors in your legal name, date of birth, country of citizenship, or country of birth as such information appears on your form I-20, DSP 2019 or in your University record.
  • At any time there is a change to yours or your dependent’s legal name country of citizenship, program of study, or financial sponsorship as such information appears in your passport or on your form I-20 or DSP 2019 (Within 10 days).
  • If there is a change to your (or your dependent’s) residential address during your stay in the U.S. in F-1 or J-status while on an I-20 or DSP 2019 issued by the University of Hartford, whether during your program of study or during Optional Practical Training after the completion of your program of study. If mail cannot be received at the new residential address, then a current mailing address must also be provided.
  • You should provide the International Center with your current telephone number and e-mail address.

Consequences of SEVIS noncompliance and violations of status. 

The International Center is required to comply with immigration regulations governing your student status and must submit information as required by Homeland Security. Failure to report such changes promptly to the International Center could result in a violation of your F-1 status, and may even prevent you from remaining in the United States to complete your studies.

Violations of status may result in the need for reinstatement or reentry to the U.S. to regain legal status.

Other instances when you should contact the International Center

To ensure that you maintain lawful immigration status, you must contact the International Center if any of the following events occurs:

  • If there is a change to your legal name
  • If there is a change to your U.S. address or home country address
  • If there is a change to your country of citizenship
  • If there is a change to your change your major or program of study
  • If there is a change to your level of education. For instance from a Bachelor degree to a Masters degree
  • If you extend or change your expected date of completion
  • If there is a change to any information related to an F-2 dependents
  • If there is a change to your source of funding
  • If you intend to travel outside the U.S. and need a travel signature from the Center on your Form I-20 or DSP 2019 or if you will need to apply for a new visa before reentering the U.S.
  • Any time you or your F-2 or J-2 dependent(s) obtain a new Form I-94 upon reentering the U.S.
  • If you lose any of your immigration documents, or if they are stolen.
  • If you intend to change your immigration status.
  • If you intend to study abroad, take a leave of absence, or transfer to another school.