The nice weather has finally arrived and it is time to get out and enjoy the outdoors. The spring and summer are a time of vacations, BBQ’s, and fun and healthy choices sometimes take a back seat. Therefore, the Wellness Committee is challenging the University community to continue thinking wellness by participating in the Spring/Summer Bingo Challenge.
This challenge is somewhat similar to the Fit For Life Challenge because it will be activity based. The game of BINGO can be fun and not knowing who will get bingo first increases the excitement! Your challenge is to complete the activities on the Bingo card, as outlined in #3, to get bingo. Feel free to complete the card at your own pace; however, a maximum of four cards per month can be completed for this challenge.
The program will work as follows:
1. This challenge will be individual based. Any interested full-time or part-time faculty or staff member can sign up for this challenge and obtain a Bingo Card by contacting Kathe Snow, HR Generalist and Wellness Advocate, at x4668 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 22, 2011.
2. Each participant must track their activity by having another individual sign off on the Bingo space once the activity is complete. For example, if you participate in Zumba classes, please have the instructor sign the block. If you go on a five mile run, have a friend initial verifying that you completed the run.
3. For the months of May, June, July and August, each participant can submit a maximum of four cards per month. Of the four cards submitted you must complete a T, an L, four corners, and one row or column to get Bingo (options cannot be duplicated).
a. The first person to get the specified pattern is declared the winner (see below). In this game, a maximum of four Bingo cards can be completed per month to increase your chances of winning a prize. All completed sheets must be returned by the end of the month to Kathe Snow in HRD. At the end of each month all completed Bingo cards will be placed in a “Wellness Bucket” and a name will be picked for a prize. At the beginning of each month a new Bingo card will be distributed to all participants.
b. Free Space (*) – each participant must complete a wellness activity of their choice and note it on the Bingo card. Be creative and try an activity you have not participated in before. For example, this is a great time of year to plant flowers or participate in a community service activity. (See the guidelines for details)
4. This challenge will begin on Sunday, May 1, 2011 and will go through Wednesday, August 31, 2011.
5. Further guidelines and Bingo sheets are available at http://new.hartford.edu/hrd/wellness/default.aspx.
The intent of this challenge is to incorporate all aspects of wellness to encourage healthy choices. Whether you make small strides or achieve personal goals, this activity is a step towards your proactive approach to wellness.