Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Utility Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Left Navigation Skip to Content
University of Hartford
Academics About U OF H
Admission Visiting Campus
Student Life Libraries
Alumni Public Purpose
News Arts & Events
Athletics Giving to U of H

Same-Sex Partner Benefits

As a part of an ongoing commitment to diversity, specifically creating an inclusive workplace and valuing every individual, the University of Hartford offers same-sex partner benefits that are similar (though not identical) to the benefits extended to the opposite sex spouse of an employee. The identical benefits package is presently constrained under federal and state laws with regard to state and federal tax implications on employer offered benefits.

To enroll a same-sex partner in University benefits you will need to submit an affidavit of same sex partnership or a copy of your civil union certificate to HRD. This information will be maintained in a confidential file as verification of the partnership. It will only be used by HRD to determine benefit plan eligibility for current and future benefit plan elections.

Medical, Dental and Life Insurance for Same Sex Partners

The University extends eligibility in all of the group medical, dental, and life insurances to registered same-sex partners of University employees.

You can enroll your same-sex partner and/or your partner's children in University-provided group coverage during your first 30 days of employment, upon attainment of a qualifying event or during the annual open enrollment period.

Tax Implications

If you enroll in same-sex partner medical coverage, you will be subject to certain tax implications. The value of University-provided premium for your partner's coverage must be reported as income to the employee and is subject to applicable federal and state tax (for those who do not have a civil union) withholding including FICA and FUTA. Additionally, the IRS does not permit tax advantages for same-sex partners, therefore all employee premiums for the same-sex partner will be deducted from your pay on an after-tax basis.

The state of Connecticut recognizes civil unions in the same manner as a spouse for benefit eligibility purposes; therefore, employees with a registered civil union will be eligible for tax advantages at the state level. Those employees will not be taxed at the state level for employer premiums and deductions will be pre-tax at the state level only.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

The FSA plan is governed by IRS guidelines that limit the reimbursement of either health-care expenses or dependent-care expenses to legal dependents. Your same-sex partner is not eligible, though his/her children's health-care expenses may be reimbursable if they are your eligible dependent as defined by the IRS code. Specifically, if (1) the child lives with you as a member of your household for the entire year; (2) is a U.S. citizen, national, or resident of Canada or Mexico; (3) the child is under 13, and (4) you provide more than one-half of the child's total support for the calendar year. If you can claim your same-sex partner's child as a dependent on your income taxes, you may also be eligible to receive reimbursement from the dependent care reimbursement account program.

Tuition Remission

Registered same-sex partners and their eligible dependents are eligible for the same tuition remission benefits as spouses and eligible dependents of full-time employees.

Employee Assistant Program (EAP)

The University's EAP is available to meet the needs of all regular full-time and regular part-time employees, their spouse or same sex partner, dependent children or other members of their household.

Family and Medical Leave

The University's Family and Medical Leave Policy complies with the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) and the Family and Medical Leave Law of the state of Connecticut. This policy provides eligible employees with unpaid leave to care for an employee's spouse or same-sex partner, child, parent, parent-in-law, or parent of a same-sex partner who has a serious health condition.

The University continues to strive to make all benefits equally available to all employees whenever possible. HRD is happy to answer any questions you may have about same-sex partner benefits and the benefits registration process.

Questions regarding this policy should be directed to your designated HR Service Partner.

Downloadable Information

Affidavit of Same-Sex Partnership

Affidavit Terminating Same-Sex Partnership

This page is designed to summarize the University of Hartford's same-sex partner benefits. It is not intended to be all inclusive. Where there are differences between the provisions of this website and more specific statements contained in University files (such as plan documents), those statements shall control.

Red Impact Bar