Academic-year staff positions are regular full-time positions, either exempt or non-exempt, scheduled for a minimum of 40 weeks per year, but less than the full (12-month or 26 pays) year. Ordinarily, they are scheduled to coincide with the school year inclusive of the fall and spring semesters. The number of pay periods for academic year employees will vary from 20 to 24, depending on departmental needs.
Benefits for academic year employees are modified as follows:
- Group insurance (medical, dental, life), long-term disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, and EAP coverage is year round. Employee contributions (if applicable) are calculated based on the full year and where applicable pro-rated deductions are taken during the period of inactive service.
- Defined Contribution Retirement Annuity Plan and Tax-Deferred Annuity/Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity Plan Options. University and employee contributions are made during the period of active employment.
- Tuition Remission. Academic-year staff, spouse, same-sex partner and/or dependent children are eligible for tuition remission for courses throughout the year based on the current Tuition Remission Policy.
- Holidays. University recognized holidays occurring during the period of active employment are paid.
- Short-Term Disability Insurance. Salary continuation under this policy is determined by the plan document. Consult HRD for further details.
- Vacation eligibility occurs annually and time is allotted on a pro-rated basis. Vacation must be taken during the period of active employment. Vacation time not taken by the end of the year's assignment will be forfeited. Vacations are to be taken at the convenience of the University. Vacation eligibility will not occur until active employment begins for the individual employee after the start of the fiscal year. For most academic year positions, this will coincide with the start of the academic year.
- Personal days eligibility occurs annually and time is allotted on a pro-rated basis. Personal days can only be taken during periods of active employment and can not be taken in advance. Personal days not taken by the end of the year's assignment will be forfeited.
For more information about Academic Year Employment please see the Staff Employment Manual sections 5.15-1 through 5.15-4.