SCHOLARSHIP AWARD ANNOUNCEMENT
The Emeriti Association of the University of Hartford offers three $1800 scholarship awards for the academic year 2018-2019. Two of these are named in honor of past University Presidents Humphrey Tonkin and Walter Harrison. Applications for the awards are due by April 13, 2018. The awards, given annually to University of Hartford undergraduate students, are based on the following criteria:
- Scholarly achievement. A Grade Point Average of at least 3.25 is the minimum expected for consideration by the selection committee.
- Service. The candidate must provide evidence of activities which contribute to the betterment of the University of Hartford and/or the community at large.
- The applicant must be an undergraduate in any of the colleges at the University of Hartford and must have completed at least one semester at the university. Applicants must be entering their junior or senior year as full-time students in the fall 2018 semester.
- A successful applicant may seek renewal of the award provided all the criteria for eligibility, as stated above, are satisfied; however, every effort will be made to rotate the award among the various colleges of the University.
To apply for a scholarship award, students must submit an application to Mary Dowst, the Executive Secretary of the Emeriti Association, outlining their qualifications for consideration. There is no application form; to apply, students should submit in hard copy:
- A letter of application (no more than 2 pages) which includes your school, major, level, and current Grade Point Average; your goals and objectives; and information pertaining to your scholarship and service activities. Indicate the names of your two references.
- A resume (must be no more than one page in length). Please be sure to include a current address, local telephone number and current email address on your resume.
- Two letters of recommendation: one from the student’s advisor, the second from a faculty member familiar with the student’s qualifications.
The awards are being promoted through the Office of Student Services in each of the colleges of the University. The Emeriti Scholarship Committee, which represents a diversity of faculty disciplines, shall evaluate all applications and recommend three students for the awards. The awards for academic year 2018-19 will be announced in May 2018, after the scholarship committee’s recommendations have been ratified by the Emeriti Executive Committee.
Applications are due by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, April 13, 2018.
Submit all materials by intercampus mail or in person to: Mary Dowst, Department of Biology, Room BC257 (Ext. 4531).