Hartt Alumni Affiliated with Tony-Nominated Musicals
Submitted by Barbara Steinberger
Category: Campus Announcements
Hartt School alumni have had a big year on Broadway, and several are involved in musicals that were nominated for Tony Awards this week.
The 2014 Tony Award nominations were announced on Tuesday (April 29), and the awards will be handed out on June 8 in a ceremony that will air live on CBS.
Here are some of the Hartt School alumni who are affiliated with Tony-nominated productions:
- Douglas Lyons ’09 and Kevin Duda ’01 are in the cast of Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. The show received multiple Tony nominations, including Best Musical.
- John Brink ’09 is in the cast of Les Misérables, which was nominated for Best Revival of a Musical.
- Orin Wolfe ‘01 is a producer of Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, which received multiple Tony nominations, including Best Musical. Wolfe also is a producer of Once, which won the 2013 Tony Award for Best Musical.
In addition, The Hartt School has a strong Partnership-in-Training with the Hartford Stage Company, and Hartford Stage Artistic Director Darko Tresnjak (who is not a Hartt graduate) was nominated for Best Direction of a Musical for A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder.
The alumni listed above are just a few of the Hartt graduates who have appeared on Broadway during the 2013–14 theater season. Other Hartt alums on Broadway include the following:
- Alison Cusano ‘09, is in the cast of A Night with Janis Joplin, and she performed the lead role in previews. The show has now moved off-Broadway.
- Christine Dwyer ‘07 plays the lead role of Elphaba in the Broadway production of Wicked.
- Hartt alumnus Kyle Wrentz is in the cast of The Lion King.