More Campus News
- Fall Commencement to Take Place Sunday
- Hartt Dance Student to Appear at The Bushnell This Weekend
- Renowned Vocalists Patricia Schuman and David Pittsinger to Teach Master Class
- HAS Holiday Ceramics Sale – Opening Reception Saturday
ENHP’s Institute for Translational Research Hosts Summer Roundtable on College Readiness
Kenny Nienhusser, director of ENHP's Center for Learning and Professional Education, and Diana LaRocco, director of ENHP's Center for Health and Education Policy.
On July 25, center directors in ENHP’s Institute for Translational Research organized a policy roundtable discussion on Connecticut Public Act No. 12-40 — An Act Concerning College Readiness and Completion (PA 12-40).
Kenny Nienhusser, Center for Learning and Professional Education, and Diana LaRocco, Center for Health and Education Policy, invited educational leaders from across the state to engage expert panelists about the Act and its anticipated impact on college readiness and completion. Panelists included:
• Merle W. Harris, Ph.D., Chair, Academic and Student Affairs Committee, Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education
• Braden J. Hosch, Ph.D., Director of Policy and Research, Interim Director of Academic Affairs, Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education
• Kathy K. Taylor, Esq., Acting Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Naugatuck Valley Community College
In Connecticut, approximately two-thirds of full-time students entering community college need remedial education to assist them with obtaining a college-entrance level of knowledge in math and English. However, only 8 percent of the students taking remedial courses are graduating (i.e., receiving a credential) within three years.
These statistics indicate that existing remedial education measures are not successful or effective for translating into workplace readiness and educational attainment. Public Act 12-40 was enacted to address these disturbing statistics. Panelists and attendees talked about its impact and its required implementation for students entering college in 2014.
For additional coverage of the roundtable discussion, detailed information about the Act, panelists’ presentation materials, and photos, visit the ENHP website or contact Kenny Nienhusser at email@example.com or Diana LaRocco at firstname.lastname@example.org.