More News for Students
- Sheff to Speak at Fall Commencement
- Apply Now to Become an RFA!
- Apply for 'Express to Success' Spring Break Mentoring Program
- Schedule Your Final Exams at Learning Plus -- Friday Deadline!
Celebrate the University’s Birthday and the New Bridge on Feb. 21!
Students, faculty, and staff are invited to celebrate the University of Hartford’s 56th birthday on Thursday, Feb. 21, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on the new bridge, a float contest, and more!
Feb. 21 is Founders Day, the anniversary of the date when the University was formed. The charter establishing the University of Hartford was signed on Feb. 21, 1957.
Basketball Game Wednesday Evening
The Founders Day festivities actually will begin the evening of Wednesday, Feb. 20, at the men’s basketball game against New Hampshire. The game begins at 7 p.m. Faculty and staff -- Buy one ticket, get one free!
Students who attend the Feb. 20 game will receive FREE Founders Day T-shirts. All students who wear the T-shirts to the next day’s Founders Day festivities will receive a prize, and will be entered into a drawing for larger prizes, including a Kindle Fire HD!
The Feb. 20 basketball game also will feature a paper airplane contest at halftime (open to everyone), at which participants will make paper airplanes and send them flying toward a target on the basketball court! Prizes will include Beats Headphones and a Mini iPad!
Ribbon-Cutting, Float Contest, and More!
On Thursday, Feb. 21, there will be a number of Founders Day festivities, and all members of the University community are encouraged to attend:
– At 12:15 p.m., there will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the completion of the new bridge that crosses the Park River between The Hartt School and Lincoln Theater. President Walter Harrison will offer brief remarks.
– Immediately after the ribbon-cutting ceremony, there will be a float contest on the new bridge. The theme of the float contest is “Building Bridges.”
– Following the float contest, participants will parade to Gengras Student Union, where the celebration will continue with birthday cake and music from the Pep Band!
So come to the basketball game on Feb. 20 and the Founders Day festivities on Feb. 21, and celebrate the University’s birthday – and the new bridge – in style!