Engineering Applications Center
New Surface Roughness Measurement Instrument
Ambulatory Suspension System
- New apparatus to assist patients with balance problem on gait dysfunction and enable them to move around safely.
- The device can lift the patient thus allowing partial weight bearing during ambulation.
- The device allows also stair climbing exercises and would prevent a fall should the patient fall or trip.
- Minimal patient supervision required after initial set up -the apparatus frees the physical therapist and enables him/her to provide care to other individuals.
- Recovery from injuries and surgery
- No international standards for sharpness.
- Factors influence sharpness of scalpel blades.
- Initial assumption
- blade shape and profile
- edge thickness
- edge roughness
- Leading Factors
- surface roughness
- Angle of the cutting edge
- Equipment capable of measuring roughness and angles of the blade.
- Computerized procedure
Hole Depth Measurement
- Vibration measurements can be taken on nearly all rotating or reciprocating machines.
- It should be used during the development phase of a design to detect possible break areas.
- It could be used for periodic monitoring of equipment on the field to detect a mechanical malfunction. Early detection can help to either save an expensive machine from failure, or greatly reduce the costs of repairs and down time.
- It could be used to predict the breakthrough point of an object during a drilling operation.
Turbine Blade Laser Drilling
Major application of laser drilling is making holes for combustors and turbines in aircraft jet engines.
Pulsed Nd: YAG laser is used for drilling of aerospace materials. This choice is driven by the following considerations:
- High pulse energies and peak powers are suited for this application.
- Ability to drill unlimited hole sizes and shapes in variety of materials like metals, ceramics and semiconductors.
- The most common application of laser drilling is the production of small holes 0.3-0.8mm diameter in critically heated parts such as:
- Nozzle guide vanes
- Blades and combustors liners
- Thousands of holes are introduced in the surface of these components to allow a film of cooling air to flow over the component. This cooling both extend the life of the component and enables extra performance to be achieved from the engine.
Broaching Tool Inspection