Actuarial Science FAQs
Utility NavTop NavContentLeft NavSite SearchSite SearchSite Search

Actuarial Science FAQs

What do I need to get a job as an entry-level actuary?
Actuarial exams and VEE courses
Actuarial internship experience
Written and verbal communication skills, leadership/initiative, teamwork, and more
GPA > 3.0 (higher preferred)

What are Actuarial Exams?
Actuaries must pass a set of examinations prescribed by the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) or Society of Actuaries (SOA). The CAS and SOA jointly administer the preliminary exams, and it is advisable to begin taking exams while in college.

M 360 and FIN 580, which are both required courses in the actuarial science minor, will help prepare students for the first two actuarial exams, Exam P and Exam FM.

 Unlike other professions such as law or medicine, actuaries are able to earn while you learn. After graduating from college, students continue completing exams while working. Employers often offer generous exam support, such as paying exam fees, providing paid study time during working hours, and giving raises for each exam passed.

How do I sign up and study for Actuarial Exams? What resources does the University of Hartford provide in terms of exam support?

You can sign up for actuarial exams on the SOA website (Exam P and Exam FM). Exam P and FM are offered six times a year.

The University of Hartford provides extremely generous exam support. The ASM study manuals, some of the best study resources available for actuarial exams, are available for 7-day loans in the Mortensen Library for the first four actuarial exams (Exams P, FM, MLC, and MFE). While the ASM study manual can be sufficient to pass the exams, there are also many other great study resources such as Coaching Actuaries and The Infinite Actuary.

 In addition, the University of Hartford reimburses students for all exam fees, regardless of whether or not you pass.

What is Validation by Educational Experience (VEE)?

VEE’s are courses required by the CAS and SOA to achieve the actuarial designations. They can be fulfilled by receiving a “B-“ or above in:

VEE Economics: EC 101 or EC 210 and EC 211
VEE Corporate Finance: FIN 310
VEE Applied Statistical Methods: QNT 230
More information on VEE’s can be found here.

What should I be doing in college?
During your freshman/sophomore years:
Take M 144, M 145, and M 240 (Calculus I, II, and III)
Make plans to take the VEE courses
Consider attending the Actuarial Bootcamp, which is an extremely valuable one-week program. FRESHMAN only.
Get involved with Barney student organizations, which will provide leadership opportunities and make you a more well-rounded candidate
Study and take Exam P and Exam FM.
Apply to internships and full-time jobs beginning in your sophomore year.

Do I need an exam to apply for an internship?  What about a full-time job?
While employers prefer students with exams, there are many students who have had internships without passing exams. Needless to say, passing exams will make it easier to find an internship.

Most full-time positions will require at least one exam and prior Internship experience. However, you should still look for both internship and full-time positions without any exams. Be sure to indicate on your resume plans to sit for an upcoming exam, which shows employers that you are committed to the profession.