Test Taking Procedures
In order to qualify for test/exam accommodations at L+, the student must have appropriate documentation on file with the director of L+. Test/exam accommodations are based on specific recommendations that are recorded in the documentation. Therefore, test/exam accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. Some professors are able and willing to provide test/exam accommodations in the classroom setting. For example, the professor may allow a student who is eligible for extended time to begin the test in the classroom prior to the standard start-time and/or to remain after the standard end-time. It is imperative that the student makes individual arrangements with each professor one week prior to each test/exam. Students may elect NOT to use accommodations for their tests.
Students are required to take tests/exams at the same time/date as their class. Occasionally, a scheduling conflict arises, and, if necessary, legitimate exceptions to the standard policy may be made.
Possible test/exam accommodations include, but are not limited to:
- Extended time:
- 1 ½ x or 2x the standard amount of time. If the class receives 50 minutes to take the test, the extended time would be for 75-100 minutes. A two-hour final exam is extended to four hours.
- Unlimited time is NOT available.
- A student who has requested extended time may leave the L+ site even if the extended time period has not expired. Please note: the student must remain at L+ until 5 minutes beyond the standard start-time for the test/exam.
- Access to a word processor or a computer when appropriate.
- L+ offers students the option of using an ALPHASMART, a self-contained, battery operated word processor. Students may reserve an ALPHASMART to use in the classroom or at L+. Responses entered on the ALPHASMART must be printed at L+. Neither floppy disks nor the Internet are accessible on an ALPHASMART. The device does have Microsoft Word Software.
- Access to a calculator when appropriate.
- A scribe who will write or type the student-generated response VERBATIM.
- The scribe will not edit/revise a student-generated response. Scribes are able to record responses for scantron-type tests.
- A reader who will read the test prompt and/or the student-generated response VERBATIM.
- The reader will NOT clarify, reword or explain a test prompt.
- Please note: The professor may clarify/explain a test prompt at his/her discretion. Therefore, some students elect to take the test/exam with the rest of their class.
- A test environment with minimal distractions. The University is NOT able to offer a test environment that is completely distraction free.
- Disposable earplugs, which are available to students who wish to take the test/exam in the classroom with the professor.
Procedures for Test/Exam Accommodations for Students, Faculty and L+ Staff
The STUDENT will:
- Make a "reservation" at L+ to take a test one week prior to the scheduled test/exam date.
- Pick up a GREEN sheet (the written request for test/exam accommodations) at L+ one week prior to each test/exam.
- Submit a completed GREEN sheet to the professor one week prior to the scheduled test/exam.
- Negotiate/remind the professor of all eligible test/exam accommodations.
- Follow the tenets of academic honesty.
- Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of any additional test/exam accommodations at L+.
- Arrive on time to take the test.
- The student may study/review for a few minutes before the exam, but must arrive early enough to begin the exam at the scheduled time.
- Leave personal belongings including jacket, book bag, pocket book, cell phone, beeper, personal listening device, textbooks and notebooks in the reception area.
- Take the test in the assigned space. The door must remain open.
- Submit any prewriting and/or calculations with the completed test/exam.
- Remain in the room until the exam is completed.
- If a student requires the use of the lavatory, a notation will be written on the exam.
- Leave L+ as soon as the test is completed unless the "standard" test has not yet been administered. Once the student leaves the test site, the student forfeits access to the test. If a student completes the exam prior to the standard start-time for the rest of the class, then the student MUST remain at A209 until 5 minutes after the standard-start time.
- Sign-out in the test/exam "reservation " book when leaving L+ after completing the test/exam.
The PROFESSOR will:
- Submit the completed GREEN sheet with the test/exam and all related materials to L+ in a timely fashion.
- Provide L+ with a phone number in the event that a problem arises during the test.
- Retrieve the completed test/exam from L+ the following day.
The L+ STAFF MEMBER will:
- Verify that the student has registered to take the test/exam at L+.
- Direct the student to the assigned testing space (eg. low-distraction area, computer station, etc.).
- Provide the test/exam accommodations as agreed to by the professor and the student and recorded on the GREEN sheet.
- Record the time that the student begins and completes the test/exam.
- Monitor the student who is taking the test/exam.
- Serve as a reader or scribe if indicated on the GREEN sheet.
- As a READER: Read the test prompt/response VERBATIM; Do NOT explain, clarify or rephrase.
- As a SCRIBE: Write/type the student's response to the test prompt VERBATIM; Do NOT edit or revise a student-generated response.
- Keep students at L+ until the standard time for the examination period has begun; if a student completes the exam prior to the standard start-time for the rest of the class, then the student MUST remain at A209 until 5 minutes after the standard-start time.
- Collect all completed test materials from the student and store them in the director's office until retrieved by the professor.
- Request the professor's signature on the bottom of the green sheet when an exam is retrieved from L+; L+ keeps the green sheet for their records.