Master of Science in Accounting and Taxation—Taxation Track
There are multiple ways to be admitted to this program. You must possess an official bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution and ONE of the following:
- Master's degree from regionally accredited institution
- Passage of the CPA, CMA, or state bar exam
- Graduation from an AACSB accredited school of business with GPA of 3.5 or better in both major and degree program (or 3.3 if the University of Hartford graduate)
- GMAT score of 500 or better
- Substantial work experience (more than 5 years of strong financial analytical experience; requires an interview)
You must also have completed the following accounting core courses (or their equivalents) that are traditionally taught as part of an undergraduate accounting major:
- AC 210: Financial Accounting
- AC 211: Managerial Accounting
- AC 320, 321, and 322: Financial Reporting Theory I,II, III
- AC332: Cost Management
- AC 425: Federal Income Tax Concepts
- AC 430: Auditing Concepts and Problems
Applicants who have passed the CPA or CMA examination will receive an automatic waiver of the above undergraduate course requirements. Applicants who have not completed the undergraduate prerequisites listed above may take them at the start of the program. (MBA 612: Accounting Concepts satisfies AC 210 and ACC 211.)
Full Admission with GMAT/GRE Waiver
Applicants may waive the GMAT/GRE requirement under the following conditions:
- 3.0 GPA or higher from an AACSB-accredited business degree program or from a nonbusinessdegree program with professional accreditation (such as ABET) completed within the past 10 years.
- 3.3 GPA or higher from a four-year bachelor’s degree program within the past 10 years*.
- Five or more years of high-level work experience and a minimum 2.75 GPA from a four-year bachelor’s degree program. Applicants should provide details of their experience on their résumé.
- Applicant has completed a master’s, law, or medical degree at an accredited university.
- Eligible for a GMAT Waiver Interview with three to five years of substantive work experience. Applicants should provide details of their experience on their résumé.
Conditional Admission with GMAT/GRE Waiver
Applicants with a 3.0-3.29 GPA from a four-year bachelor degree program within the past 10 years may apply for conditional admission.
If conditional admission is granted, the student must:
- Complete the following courses: MSM600 and MSM610
- Earn a grade of B- or higher in each of the courses
- Achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for both courses.
Admission to the MSM program and waiver of the GMAT is denied if any of the above conditions are not met. Students have one opportunity to repeat any of the courses to improve the GPA to 3.0 to be reconsidered for the GMAT waiver and full acceptance into the program.
In all cases requiring a minimum GPA, non-U.S. bachelor degree GPAs must be verified by WES.
To apply to the Master of Science in Accounting and Taxation—Taxation Track, students must:
- Complete our online application
- Request official transcripts from the school that granted your bachelor’s degree and from any graduate institution you attended. Have transcripts sent to:
University of Hartford
Graduate Admission Office-Online Programs
200 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117 USA
- A nonrefundable application fee of $50
- A letter of intent (as explained in the application)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Your résumé