International Situation Management
International Situation Management Team (ISMT)
The International Situation Management Team (ISMT) is a cross-functional team comprised of select department management critical to addressing and responding to an international incident that places in danger students, faculty, staff, and other members of the University community (hereinafter referred to as “others”) on a University of Hartford-sponsored program. The ISMT operates within the framework established by the University International Travel Policy and ultimately reports to the President of the University of Hartford.
At the request of the Office of the Provost or the Dean of a College, the ISMT will meet to address a situation related to travel by students, faculty, staff, and others. When University of Hartford students are participating in affiliated programs in areas that have been designated as dangerous according to the standards set forth in the University’s International Travel Policy (1.0), the ISMT will monitor the responses of local program providers.
The ISMT is designed to involve all relevant aspects of University functions and reflects the expertise and knowledge of the University environment.
Members of the ISMT: *
Chuck Colarulli, Associate Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Studies (Convener)
Marcy Cain, Senior Director, Office of Communication
John Carson, Vice President of University Relations
Arosha Jayawickrema, Associate Vice President for Finance
Sarah Reuter, Study Abroad Administrator
Catherine Stevenson, Academic Dean of International and Honors Programs
Faculty member on site in the affected locale
*Note: The Provost will be responsible for all appointments and reappointments, as needed.
Responsibilities of the ISMT:
- Defines emergency policy; meets twice yearly to assess adequacy of emergency policy.
- Develops, in consultation with experts, both general procedures for on-site faculty/staff members to follow in case of a crisis/emergency and specific procedures to be followed in regions where there is a greater likelihood of an emergency evacuation being necessary.
- Determines program closures and resumptions in consultation with the faculty member on site in the affected locale and the President of the University or his official designee.
- Assesses reconnaissance and data.
- Prioritizes situation reports and plans strategies.
- Manages tactical response.
- Manages the flow of public information.
- Collects and verifies field reports.
- Maintains incident data log.
- Provides technical background information and maps.
- Obtains and stages resources.
- Coordinates support services.
- Tracks expenses and manages University claims process.
- State Department issues serious level of travel warning (as defined by University Travel Policy).
- Convener of ISMT determines that situation may/will result in an emergency and may/will require a coordinated response by the ISMT.
- ISMT convenes.
- ISMT initiates notifications of parents and/or family members.
- ISMT determines if situation requires immediate repatriation of students/faculty/staff.
- ISMT establishes Emergency Operations Command Center.
- ISMT implements Action Checklist.
- ISMT initiates chronological event log.
- ISMT determines academic impact of program termination.
- ISMT accesses internal communication requirements and establishes communication plan.
- Office of Communication establishes communication with appropriate media.
- ISMT initiates recovery operations.