Skip to Top NavigationSkip to Utility NavigationSkip to SearchSkip to Left NavigationSkip to Content
Mobile Menu

Storm Advisory for Sunday, Jan. 20

A winter storm warning remains in effect for Hartford County until 7 p.m. today. Residential students are asked to postpone their return to campus to Monday afternoon or, for those whose class schedules allow, Tuesday. Students, please do not travel to and arrive on campus today.

Hartt Community Division activities today and this evening are canceled.

Employee Financial Policies

This information is meant only to provide you with an overview of the Bursar's policies and procedures. For questions regarding our policies please contact the Student Administrative Services Center (SASC) at 860.768.4999 or These policies are subject to change without prior written notification.

SASC is located on the second floor of the Beatrice Auerbach Computer Center and Administration Building and processes reimbursements for University purchases of $25 or less. In order to be reimbursed for purchases you make on behalf of the University, you are required to fill out a petty cash voucher form, have it authorized by your department head, and attach all appropriate original receipts. An original receipt must accompany your request in order for you to receive reimbursement from SASC.

To receive petty cash reimbursement from SASC:

  • Be sure to have a completed petty cash voucher form.  
    • Include complete department org and sub account information. This form also requires the proper authorizing signature.
  • The person 'authorized' for payment must be the person presenting the petty cash reimbursement form. The person authorized for payment must be different than the 'Authorized Signature'. The person authorized to receive payment may be required to show his or her University ID for proper identification.
  • Include all original receipts totaling up to $25.

Only $25 per day can be claimed against a general ledger account.  Requests for amounts greater than $25 or those not accompanied by a receipt need to be requested by an order for check or personal expense voucher form which is processed through the Financial Accounting Office.  

  • Please note that the University of Hartford is tax exempt. Therefore, we do not reimburse for sales tax. Please contact the Financial Accounting Office if you need a copy of our tax exempt certificate prior to making your purchase.
  • The University will reimburse for mileage for private vehicle use for approved business-related travel.  The rate used for reimbursement is established by the University, which is generally based on the IRS published rate.  Mileage may be calculated by either using an actual odometer reading or obtained by a mapping website such as Mapquest or Google.
    • Under IRS regulations, commuting expenses are not deductible.  Therefore, when a University employee seeks reimbursement of mileage for business travel, the employee’s normal commuting mileage to and/or from the University, as applicable, shall be deducted from the total reimbursable mileage traveled on that day.  This deduction will not apply, however, to any leg of the travel which begins or ends at the University or which occurs on a day when the employee is not normally scheduled to work.


In order for your department to accept payments, you need to read the University of Hartford Cash Control Guidelines and bring a signed copy of the acknowledgement form to SASC.  A copy of these guidelines can be obtained by contacting SASC. Please click here to access the Cash Control Guidelines.  Please click here for the Cash Control acknowledgement form.

All payments must be properly secured at all times.

Cash Payments:

  • Provide the customer with a receipt for each cash payment.  Be sure to record detailed information regarding the payment for future processing. 
  • Wrap up loose coins prior to depositing it with SASC. Bank of America will not accept loose change.

Check Payments:

  • Checks should be made payable to the University of Hartford.  Checks included in the deposit that are not made payable to the University of Hartford or properly endorsed will be returned to the appropriate department. 
  • Ensure that checks are payable in U.S. dollars and payable through a United States financial institution. Checks that do not adhere to these criteria are sent to the International Collections Department at Bank of America.  There is usually a significant international collection fee charged by the financial institution. Departments and students are responsible for all fees charged. 
  • Please write the student ID number on each check that SASC will post directly to the student’s account. 
  • Please be aware that departments will be charged the face value of the check and a processing fee for all checks returned for non-payment from our bank. 
  • Although checks should be deposited with SASC within 5 business days of receipt, any checks with a date older than 6 weeks are required to be reported to the University of Hartford’s Internal Auditor.

Credit Card Payments:

There are very strict Payment Card Industry (PCI) rules that must be adhered to. Therefore, the University has moved credit card processing to an online system.

  • Students and authorized payers can make online payments directly on a student account through the Student Self-Service Center or navigate to 
  • Non-student payments can be accepted through a personalized CASHNet E-Market Storefront Solution.

Please note that a transaction fee may be assessed to departments accepting credit card payments.  Contact the Bursar's Office if you have any questions regarding any additional fees.

It is important that you do not hold on to payments. There are several reasons why each department needs to process deposits in a timely manner.  Here are a few of them:

  1. There is a greater risk of payments being lost or misplaced the longer you hold on to them.
  2. Check payments can become stale dated and customers may change their bank accounts. The longer you hold a check, the greater risk that the funds will not be available or that the bank account is closed. Some checks state on them how long they are good (e.g., 60, 90 and 180 days). Most personal checks are acceptable for up to 6 months. 
  3. In general, customers like to have their checks cashed promptly.

CASHNet E-Market                                                                   TOP

The CASHNet E-Market solution can be used to allow various campus-wide departments to seamlessly accept and authorize payments. The department can work with the E-Market Administrator for acceptable payment options.  Types of payments are determined by the individual department (already defined by the Bursar's Office) and can include one-time payments for events on campus and conference registration fees. At checkout, the user will click “pay here” and the transaction will be transmitted through CASHNet.  Please allow a 4 week lead time for the E-Market to be created. 

The University of Hartford requires all university departments interested in using an E-Market solution to obtain the proper approvals. Please review the E-Market Policies manual prior to requesting a storefront.  A “Request for E-Market Checkout” form (see attachment A) needs to be completely filled out prior to initiating a request. Please note that this form is for information purposes only, to be used in determining the necessity of creating your E-Market request. The E-Market Administrator does not have final approval to create or publish an E-Market checkout.  The form requires that the following information be identified:

  • Department information, including contact information
  • Questions answered regarding the need for an E-Market and the type of transactions you will be processing
  • Approval Signatures
    • Person requesting the E-Market checkout
    • Dean/department head
    • E-Market Administrator

Miscellaneous Deposits:                                                                       TOP

All miscellaneous deposits received in SASC must have a completed Miscellaneous Deposit Form included with the payments.

Ideally, payments should be brought to SASC daily, but should not be held for more than 5 business days. Please be advised that SASC's priority is to wait on students and answer telephone calls prior to processing miscellaneous deposits. However, SASC attempts to process deposits within 3 business days. 

Deposits can be dropped off at the Reception Desk (please hand them to a person) or placed in the locked deposit box located in the side of the Reception Desk.

SASC general operating hours are:

8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.       Monday–Thursday
8:30 a.m.–3 p.m.       Friday

Please note that we are particularly busy processing student transactions and answering customer telephone calls during advance registration and the first week of classes.  Additionally, we generally have longer wait times between 12 and 2 p.m.

TUITION ABATEMENT                                                                                 TOP

The University of Hartford offers a tuition abatement program to its full-time and part-time employees. Please contact the Human Resources Development Office for detailed information regarding this benefit.

The Bursar's Office processes a credit to the student account receiving the abatement.  The process is as follows:

  • The employee obtains a Tuition Abatement form from the Human Resources Department (HRD).
  • The employee fills out the form completely, attaching any appropriate paperwork.
  • The employee has their supervisor and/or department head sign the form.
  • The form is forwarded to HRD.
  • HRD will process and approve if applicable the form (if applicable) and forward it to the Bursar's Office for processing. Through the Bursar processing, a credit is placed on the student account for the appropriate amount of tuition.

Please note that abatement covers tuition only.  Fees are due at the time of registration.  The Bursar's Office is not responsible for tuition abatement forms not received.  Employees should allow 7 business days for the processing of their tuition abatement form.  If the abatement form is not received in our office prior to the billing due date, the student's account will be assessed and he or she will be expected to pay for any fee charged while he or she is in default of payment.

REQUEST FOR A CASH BOX                                                                TOP

University departments can request a cash box to be used at their University sponsored event by contacting Diane Purcell, Bursar Senior Accountant.

In order for your department to accept payments, you need to read the University of Hartford Cash Control Guidelines and bring a signed copy of the acknowledgement form to SASC.  A copy of these guidelines can be obtained by contacting SASC or click here to print a copy of the Cash Control Guidelines.  Please click here to obtain the Cash Control acknowledgement form.

You will not need to complete a Cash Control acknowledgment form if one is already on file.  Please contact Jennifer Furgerson at 860.768.5431 or if you need to confirm receipt of this form.

Requests for a cash box needs to be made through the Bursar's Office. Please make requests at least two weeks prior to the date of the event.  If you plan to accept credit card payments, please contact Jennifer Furgerson regarding a CASHNetvE-Market solution.  Please see CASHNet E-Market above. 

Please note that all items requested must be signed out of the Bursar's Office and must be returned on a mutually-agreed-upon date. You are required to submit:

  • Requestors name and campus telephone extension
  • Full department name
  • Purpose for the request (for example: event name)
  • If requesting cash, include amount of cash advance and demoninations preferred.  Please note, athough we attempt to provide you with what you need, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to completely fulfill requests
  • Return date of all equipment and/or cash advance
  1. Cash: Each department is responsible for returning all items, including the cash that they were advanced for their function directly at the Bursar's Office. All payments received during the event will be deposited through the Student Administrative Services Center (SASC) by completing a Miscellaneous Deposit Form.
  2. Checks: Please review our check acceptance policy as noted above.
  3. Credit cards: Please review our credit card acceptance policy as noted above.