Home basketball games are played in Chase Arena at Reich Family Pavilion. Home soccer and lacrosse contests are played on Al-Marzook Field at Alumni Stadium.
Use Department of Athletics and Director of Athletics when possible. Otherwise, use athletics department or athletics director. Do not write athletic department or athletic director.
- The University of Hartford Department of Athletics will host the event on Saturday.
- Director of Athletics Mary Ellen Gillespie will address the group on Friday.
Athletics (not athletic) should modify all terms with the exception of trainer, which will conform with the professional industry organization terminology.
- athletics facilities
- athletics staff
- athletic trainer
Home venues on campus should be written as:
- Chase Arena at Reich Family Pavilion
- Al-Marzook Field at Alumni Stadium
- Hartford Volleyball Gym
- Hartford Softball Field
- Fiondella Field
Note that Reich Family Pavilion encompasses the area of the Sports Center that includes the arena, swimming pool, ticket office, and study hall. Any event in any other part of the building, including the Hartford Volleyball Gym, should not be listed as taking place in the Reich Family Pavilion.
For coaches and athletics administrators, capitalize titles only when it is a direct title before their name. Otherwise, use lowercase.
- Matt Brady is the assistant athletics director for communications
- Assistant Athletics Director for Communication Matt Brady will moderate the panel.
- Head Coach John Gallagher is excited about the season ahead.
- John Gallagher, head coach, will speak to the group after the game.
The nickname is Hawks in all instances of men's and women's sports. Never put a modifying term in front of Hawks.
The University of Hartford offers 17 intercollegiate sports at the Division I level.
Men's Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Track & Field (indoor), Track & Field (outdoor)
Women's Sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Track & Field (indoor), Track & Field (outdoor), Volleyball
The University of Hartford is a member of the America East Conference. Exceptions: Men's Golf competes in the Big Sky Conference while Women's Golf competes in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
Use all-America as an adjective and all-American as a noun. For conference, regional, and national honors, capitalize when the official full name of the honor/award is used.
- all-region selection
- named to the America East All-Rookie Team
- America East Scholar-Athletes of the Year
- selected to the all-conferene second team.
America East postseason events not in tournament format should be referred to as championship. Otherwise, use tournament.
- America East Men's Basketball Tournament
- America East Cross Country Championship
Follow Associated Press (AP) style for terminology specific to a given sport.