Dropping Courses and Changing Grade Options
Utility NavTop NavContentLeft NavSite SearchSite SearchSite Search

Dropping Courses and Changing Grade Options

Dropping/adding a course or changing the grade option requires completion of the “Change of Program” form (found in SASC or Hillyer 204).  Any student initiating a withdrawal from a course requires the advisor’s signature and the A&S Associate Dean for Student Academic Services’ signature.  When a student brings the “Change of Program” Form (Drop/Add Form) to an advisor for a signature, the advisor should be sure to confirm that the student will have at least 12 credits after the change.  In most cases, an advisor should advise a student to maintain at least 12 credits per semester (full-time status).  Carrying less than 12 credits may affect a student’s financial aid including loans, housing, private health insurance, auto insurance discounts, F-1 Visa status and other eligibility.  If there is no chance for a passing grade in a course, an advisor may recommend that a student drop below full-time status to help protect the student’s GPA.  Advisors should be aware that if a student who is receiving financial aid drops below 12 credits, they will need to make up those credits.  To continue to receive financial aid, a student must earn at least 24 credits per academic year before the start of the next fall semester.  Other grants may have higher credit and GPA requirements so students should be referred to Financial Aid for the terms of their grants.

If a student is contemplating dropping below full-time status, and advisor should refer them to the following campus resource so that the student is fully aware of the consequences and can make an informed choice.

Immigration status: Director of International Admission, Sam Skinner x4839

Financial concerns: Admission and Student Financial Aid, x4642

Counseling or Psychological Services: Counseling and Psychological Services, x4482

Academic progress: A&S Dean’s Office for Student Academic Services, x4257

Health Issues: Health Services, x6601

A course that is dropped within the first three weeks of a regular semester will be deleted from a student’s record.  After the third week, a grade of “W” will be given for any class that is dropped.  The last day for withdrawing from a class or changing the grade option (letter grade, pass/no pass, or audit) is the last day of the tenth week of a regular semester. 

Students may elect to take one class per semester on a pass/no pass basis, with the exception of RPW 110, 111 and 210.  In addition, courses required for the major or minor must be taken for a letter grade to earn credit towards the fulfillment of the major or minor program.

A student may elect to “audit” a course.  However, auditing a course confers no academic credit towards a degree.