Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
The Bachelor of Science program is for students who intend to pursue careers in chemistry. With its heavy concentration in science and mathematics, it prepares a student for positions in chemical industry or for graduate study in specialized areas of chemistry.
Course Requirements for the BS Major
Learning Outcomes for the BS in Chemistry
- Learn fundamentals of chemistry and build to more complex concepts.
- Learn the language of chemistry: compounds, structures, naming, and chemical reactions.
- Understand the context of the answer to a problem and apply the answer to their model of how the physical world operates. Be able to assess this model of the physical world.
- Use reason and logic in the solving of chemical problems.
- Be able to understand and perform fundamental laboratory procedures and build to more complex procedures.
- Interpret instructions and collect, evaluate, and interpret data in the chemistry laboratory.
- Gain an understanding of the main areas of chemistry: organic, analytical, physical, and inorganic.
- Be able to process and translate written information in order to solve a problem or perform a laboratory procedure.
- Be able to express and convey information in both oral and written formats.