Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry
The Bachelor of Arts program is primarily for students who have a special interest in chemistry but who intend to pursue careers in such related fields as medicine, dentistry, education, business, or law.
Course Requirements for the BA Major
Learning Outcomes for the BA in Chemistry
- Learn fundamentals of chemistry and build to more complex concepts.
- Learn the language of chemistry: compounds, structures, naming, and chemical reactions.
- Understand the context of the answer to a problem and apply the answer to their model of how the physical world operates. Be able to assess this model of the physical world.
- Use reason and logic in the solving of chemical problems.
- Be able to understand and perform fundamental laboratory procedures and build to more complex procedures.
- Interpret instructions and collect, evaluate, and interpret data in the chemistry laboratory.
- Gain an understanding of the main areas of chemistry: organic, analytical, physical, and inorganic.
- Be able to process and translate written information in order to solve a problem or perform a laboratory procedure.
- Be able to express and convey information in both oral and written formats.